Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Feature: Small Town Feel with Big City Dreams

Small town feel with big city dreams
BY: CHRIS HOGAN

            Growing up in a small town of 1,664 in Raymond, MS, University of Bridgeport student Colton Young always had a deep interest in writing. His journey has led him close to where he hopes someday to see himself being, a fashion journalist in the Big Apple.
            Now in his first semester at UB, Young, a transfer from Tougaloo College, has gone through some eye-opening events uncommon to his experiences in MS, where he spent the first 20 years of his life.
            “Coming from Mississippi, the poorest state in the U.S. and now seeing that state of Connecticut has been a true experience for me,” Young said. “People here have more money and their way of living is a lot different than what I am used too.”
            The son of a retired truck driver for over 30 years and a former catalog model, Young, a journalism major has ambitions to become a fashion journalist for either Vogue, People or Instyle magazines. Fashion didn’t really become an interest until his peers suggested it.
            “In the tenth grade, some of my classmates approached me and asked if I would ever consider being a model,” Young said. “I looked into it and it struck me that I have an interest in fashion journalism.”
            Some of his other interests include listening to hip hop and R& B. His favorite artists consist of Lady Gaga, Brandy, Ne-Yo and especially Rihanna. He is fond of big fan of her style, tattoos and creativity. Soul food is his favorite food, particularly fried chicken.
            One of his biggest accomplishments while attending Raymond High School and Tougaloo College was being named to the academic honors program known as the BETA club. Young also ran track and cross country for his high school, which he said made him into a better person.
            “When I was younger, I wasn’t in great shape and running helped me feel accomplished in life,” Young said. “Now I feel like I can achieve anything in my life.”
            On the job front, Young worked for Charlotte Russe, a clothing store in his hometown, as a sales associate. While at Tougaloo, he was a staff writer and assistant editor for his college’s newspaper, The Harambee. While there, Young covered many events on campus and contributed to the school’s online website and blog as well.
            Young feels like his personality helps him connect with people.
            “I believe I have a Type A or B personality, meaning I like to be creative but logical at the same time.” Young said.
            After he graduates from college in the spring of 2013, Young hopes to attend CUNY- Fashion Graduate School of Journalism in Manhattan. He expects to maintain a 4.0 grade average for every semester he attends at UB while being in the honors program and wants to become a staff writer on The UB Scribe newspaper. Five years from now, he sees himself living in NYC and writing for some of his favorite fashion magazines.
            “If I am able to get a job in a big city like New York, it will be a big accomplishment for me.” Young summed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment